Saturday, June 21, 2008

everything i know about sydney i learned from finding nemo

i think our negligence in blogging in the philippines has caused us to lose some readers
COME BACK!!! I'M SORRY!! i'll try harder, i promise!!
PLUS, you will soon be experiencing a bit of africa with us! we leave for africa on wednesday and we'll be there for 6 weeks. when i'm not scared about getting some horrible disease, i am VERY excited about getting to experience africa!!
anyhow, we arrived in sydney on friday. we are staying with the starks, a missionary family from washington state. brian and melanie are actually the ones organizing the zambia trip, and who are going to be training the team starting tomorrow. they are a fun family, and we feel welcomed :)
i must say, i like sydney VERY much. my one day that i got to explore was an absolutely gorgeous sunshiny day. i also got to meet up with old friends of mine from greece!! one of my best friends growing up, christina, and her sister, joana, moved here 5 years ago and were able to show us around sydney on saturday. i love reuniting with old friends! it's funny how time changes people, and yet how some things never change :)
one last thing i'll say before i get some rest is that i never cared much about sydney's opera house. thought it was just an odd looking building. but let me tell you, when i saw it in person it is just spectacular! i think it is SO cool. took a whole bunch of photos of it from a whole bunch of angles, both in the sunshiny day, as well as lit up at night! i know, i'm such a tourist. i usually don't like to be all touristy, but since my time in sydney is so limited i hadn't the time to play it cool.
here are some of my shots:


don't you wish you were in that sailboat underneath the bridge? i know i do



shot of downtown. both of these were taken while standing at the opera house


joana and christina, my old friends :)


kendra lookin all funky


the bridge at dusk; not bad, eh?


and finally, the opera house


a few things you can pray with me about:
AFRICA - the main thing in my mind is staying healthy, tho i'm sure that once i'm there i will love being there. pray that the malaria pills don't make us too sick, because we will have to be taking those every day and we've heard they can have some unpleasant side effects..
FUTURE PLANS - kendra and i are both thinking alot about this lately. school, no school, work, something else? at the moment, your guess is as good as mine. for me, i'm trying to figure out when/how i could possibly make it back to the philippines. maybe uni in australia.. who knows!! the options are endless..

5 comments:

susan said...

So, I'm in NC at the beach with family. Missing both of you bunches. Did you actually get to go INSIDE the Opera House? I took the tour when I was there and absolutely LOVED IT!!! Blown away by it, actually. Will certainly be praying for both of you.

Stevesy said...

wow...i guess photography runs in the family, along with cooking and good looks.

Scott said...

Beautiful pics, Beck! We will be praying for your health in Africa! Miss you! Keep those blog entries comin'! Love, Vic

David said...

My city of Sydney I miss the warmth of you
Miss the heart of your people
That little church steeple in Woolloomoolloo

My city of Sydney I miss your glow at dark
Miss the Opera House lights from the Bridge
And the nights in a quiet Hyde Park
Though I'm thousands of miles from the surfers and smiles
Of your laugh-loving children at play
My warm city of Sydney I've never been away

Unknown said...

Wow, great pictures Becky! What an amazing time you girls are having; I'm so happy for you. And I never thought you'd see the Sankaris girls again when they left Greece - you all look adorable in that photo!