Friday, July 4, 2008

Shilende chi Bemba

...or, "I don't speak Bemba." Bemba is one of seven major languages spoken in Zambia, the one spoken in the area of Ndola where we are right now.

Thankfully, there's not too much of a need to speak it, since, like the Philippines, most of the people we've met here speak some degree of English. But onto more interesting topics. Let's see, what can I say about Africa...

Well, I guess I could start off by saying that if you're thinking of vast plains, lots of beautiful singing, little kids who run behind buses and never stop waving at you, beautiful sunsets, huge star-filled skies, and lots of dust, that is exactly what we have. I'm actually a bit surprised that many of the pictures I had in my head turned out to be true. That's usually not the case when you go to such a different culture.

I'm just gonna keep writing what comes to my head, since I'm on a bit of a time limit. The team we're with is great - but then, I've never met an Aussie I didn't like. We all get along really well, and it's interesting to see each other "roughing it out". Though, if i were to be honest, aside from the really cold mornings and nights, I don't feel like it's a great discomfort to be here. I mean, when someone thinks of staying in Africa, I think sometimes they automatically steel themselves for the worst inconveniences they'll have to live with day in and day out. And yes, the showers are freezing, and the nights are really cold as well, but besides those, I think it's been fairly easy to just ease into the African way of life, which can be summed up with the words "Go with the flow."

Some interesting things we've done and experienced:

-We attended a church service last Sunday at this small one-room Baptist church about a 15 min. walk from where we're staying. It was really neat - about 80% of it was singing, and let me tell you, Africans can sing! It's unfair, really, how every single one of them sounds amazing. They actually had our team get up and sing something. We had practiced, and we sounded alright, but still, I'll just let you imagine the difference.
-On Tuesday, we rode out to a village about two hours away, where we worked with Lifeline in Zambia and some local volunteers to make mud bricks that would be used to build a child care center. Yep, we made bricks from scratch. Well, they did, we just helped out here and there. All the ladies took us to the nearby creek where we filled several jugs of water, and then we walked back carrying them on our heads! It was awesome :) Not that I could balance it, obviously, I had to use my arm. Still, felt pretty cool.

Well, it looks like my time's up (we're at an internet shop). Sorry I couldn't give a full account, but hopefully next time I'll have more time! See you all very soon!

-Kendra

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

PLEASE, please, please tell me you have pictures of you carrying water in jugs on your heads. I have a few new chores for Becky now that I know she can do this....

Anonymous said...

Kendra, I miss you so much and am so proud of you. Thanks for keeping in touch as you can, but we understand your limitations, trust you to the Lord, and are not worried.

Keep on looking to Jesus as you allow him to work IN you and THROUGH you.

Dad

Anonymous said...

Yo,Kendra. I heard you got hair
extensions. That's crazy AWESOME!
I love you very much, Kenzie!
From,
your freakin' brother
Will

Anonymous said...

hahahahahahahahahahaha...
will's comment cracks me up.
man, oh man, I wanna go to africa. take LOTS of pictures, please!!!

by the by, still haven't played any monopoly...:D

-the attic child

p.s. your hair extensions do sound "crazy awesome".

Stevesy said...

...crazy awesome, definitely - can't wait to see them.