Thursday, March 20, 2008

Catching Up

Yes, I know I've been very neglectful in my blogging, but as Becky has rightly said, there is not much to blog about when most days are pretty much the same.

Now, that being said, this past week has had some new and interesting things thrown into the mix. Therefore - something to blog about! Last Thursday was our last day of English classes. What better way to end an English class then to watch an English movie? :D We set up the projector in the main room up at the Casa Grande and watched "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" with our students. Lots of laughs, especially from us Grekas, since you just have to know Greeks to know how funny the movie really is. Nothing was funnier though, then when our two young male students started tearing up at the end (when Gus gives Toula and Ian the house), and the four ladies in the room remained dry-eyed. Needless to say, we laughed pretty hard at them, which was fine, cuz they laughed at themselves :D

So that was a fun ending to the English classes. From Friday to Sunday, we stayed with a Tico family, the Ugaldes, which, for me, was one of the highlights of our time here. The Ugaldes were incredibly hospitable and kind to us, who had never met them before, and they weren't shy about practicing their English with us. We spent most of the weekend with their daughter, Esther, who is our age and speaks great English. She and David (one of our English students, also her boyfriend) spent Saturday showing us different things to do in San Jose.

Our first stop was a museum which exhibited the lifestyle of Costa Rican Indians several hundred years ago - their traditions, their positions in the tribes, the minerals they mined. Interesting enough, but I liked the Rembrandt exhibit more.


A statue of an Indian warrior. Don't you think all of that gold would be unnecessary going into battle?


Becky, David, and I

Waiting for the best nachos in San Jose

The best nachos that finally came :)

The most recent addition to my ear :)


Aren't they cute... :)

For now, we are enjoying having Woody and Su back from Israel. House-sitting was fun, but it's nice to have people back in the house.

Five more days till Colorado!

-Kendra






4 comments:

susan said...

"I come to this country with 8 dollars and you .." "Fine! Fine! We'll invite them to the wedding!" Isn't that how the scene goes? Glad that things are going so nicely for you, Grekas. I'm heading to Edinburgh next week for a nice long weekend. I'm planning to head over to Stirling for some pie. I promise I'll say hi for the both of you. Miss you

susie lauber said...

hello my dear, i like the earring-does it hurt?? and those nachos looked amazing. can you send me some in a box?? thanks! good to see you guys have some good summer colour on your faces. i miss you dears a lot :( keep well and keep up the good work of blogging, susie

Stevesy said...

...I agree with Susie, I want nachos in the post. Did Becky talk you into getting that earring?

Anonymous said...

holy crow, sister, you've added some more freckles to your already impressive collection...

-the attic child